Blueblockers Glasses Comparison:
Pick the Best Blueblockers for YOU
As more people spend time on their computers, laptops, cell phones and other electronic devices a modern day epidemic is emerging. Andrews et al, 2015 , reported that adults between ages of 18 and 33 interact with their phones an astounding 85 times a day (1). In 2003, the U.S. Bureau of Labor reported, 77 million people were using a computer at work (2). Now, that’s a lot of exposure to devices which translates to an excessive exposure to blue-light!
Blue-light & Eyestrain
Blue-light emissions from devices results in eye strain that leads to poor posture. Research reviewed by Gianluca Tosini, Ian Ferguson and Kazuo Tsubota show that blue light between 400 and 450nm causes retina damage and that blue light between 450 and 470nm suppresses the production of melatonin (3). Check out more about Eyestrain & Posture here.
Blue-light & Health conditions
The effects of blue-light on the our bodies is serious. Harvard researchers and their colleagues conducted an experiment comparing the effects of 6.5 hours of exposure to blue light to exposure to green light of comparable brightness. The blue light suppressed melatonin for about twice as long as the green light and shifted circadian rhythms by twice as much (3 hours vs. 1.5 hours) (4). The negative effects on the brain could lead to health conditions such as:
- Mental fatigue
Reduction of blue-light emissions is important for your health. Wearing blue-blocking glasses is an effective way to reduce eyestain, fatigue and improve mood. PosturePossible.com researched some of the more popular brands on the market. We ranked them by style, versatility and effectiveness.
I was recently gifted a pair of Prospek glasses and I would say this is my favorite of all blue blockers I’ve reviewed so far. They block 50% of blue-light which is only 10-15% less then most blue-blockers so the difference in color perception is much less. I found using Prospek to be easier on my eyes then glasses with 65% filtration.
Priced right at $44.95. Smart, classy look to them. You can find them at spektrumglasses.com
Uvex Skyper offers the simplicity of a uni-lens with practicality as its appeal. Wraparound design offers peripheral protection, molded-in nose bridge and browguard, adjustable temple length and inclination. Uvex Skyper has an easy and economical lens replacement system. Frames have a lifetime guarantee. Made in the USA.
- Amber tint will block 65% blue light
- Grey tint will block 93% blue light
- Espresso tint will block 97% blue light
- Orange tint will block 98% blue light
- Scratch resistance
- Industrial chemical resistance
- Anti-fog coating
- Screens ultraviolet (UV) radiation
- Purchase through Amazon at around $10. Click here
Swanwick Sleep™ was founded in Los Angeles California by Australian-born entrepreneurs James and Tristan Swanwick.
Their mission is to inform and educate the public on the crucial importance of quality sleep to maintain good health and optimal life performance. The company has researched and developed a series of innovative sleep products.
- All lens will block 97-99% blue light(tested by 3rd party)
- 8 different frame options
- Anti-reflective, Anti-glare coating
- Wearable option style for over Prescription glasses
- They sell reading glasses with magnification from +1.00 up to +3.50: These are available only in increments of .05
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Priced at $69.99
- check them out at www.swanwicksleep.com
Haus GUNNAR lenses are carefully formulated to filter and balance light while absorbing 65% of (HEV) blue light emitted from digital devices. By designing lenses to shift the color spectrum for visual efficiency, the GUNNAR amber lens takes artificial light and precisely tunes it to the physiology of the eye. The crystalline lens only blocks about 10%.
- Blocks 65% of blue light from digital screens.
- 18 frame styles
- Anti-reflective coatings on the front and back of the lens to reduce glare
- There is a slight 0.20 magnification in “Haus” which tricks the eye into thinking it is looking far away. This relaxes the eye so it is not straining.
- Shop by “price range” feature
- 30 day money back guarantee
- Priced as low as $39.99
- Go to their shop page here.
Duco designs these computer glasses with amber tinted lenses. Reported to filter 90% High-Energy Blue Light to minimize Digital Eye Strain caused by harmful blue light emitted from digital screens.
- Blocks 90% of blue light from digital screens.
- 1 frame style with three black color variations
- Priced at $19.69
- Purchase through Amazon. Click here