Posture Braces Reviewed By a Posture Expert
As a practitioner who understands and works with improving posture every day, I was very skeptical of posture devices. Skeptical about their effectiveness I decided to test them myself. To satisfy my own inquisitive nature I created an analytical method to test them.
I assessed and graded each device for effectiveness. Questions were developed for client’s to answer. Lastly, I created a review methodology that collected data from postural analyses over the course of 30, 60 and 90 days.
Why reviewing devices that claim to improve your posture?
My interest in posture review came about when clients asked me for help with their posture at work or home. They would say, “Isn’t there something I can wear to help with my posture?” So, I began researching devices that didn’t require a prescription from me in order to buy and wear.
What I found was what I term “Posture Devices”, which includes:
- Digital gadgets
These device claim to help improve posture.
Each device is made by varying levels of expertise. Ranging from someone with an entrepreneurial spirit that saw a need. To practitioners who they themselves have spent time working to correct posture.
How to measure the effectiveness of posture braces?
How do we know if a posture brace or in the broader scope a device is effective? The desired effect of posture devices is to correct posture and to do it such a way as to create long-term benefit.
In order for this to happen, they need to first meet two main criteria:
- The first requirement is they can’t be so forceful as to hold your posture for you.
By losing your capacity to hold your own posture you undermine the very essence of good posture. Good posture is a natural state, it’s part of the design of being human. A device is there to gently pull and remind you of having good posture so your own muscles retrain themselves.
- The second requirement of a posture device is it needs to “work” long term.
I define a device as “working” under two scenarios. The person wears the device, posture is improved immediately. Second, posture holds improvement after the prescribed correction time. It is a mistake to assume a device works because it improves posture as soon as it’s worn. A person knowing they are being watched, consciously or unconsciously corrects their own posture. The posture needs to maintain correction to some degree when not using the device.
Our review methodology explained
You will find my reviews to be quite unique from other review sites in that I use the same technology on the devices as I do in my client to check progress of posture correction ie “are we making progress”? I evaluate over the course of 30-90 days to determine long term effects.
Reviews are in two main criteria:
- Does it work – Does posture change and is it long lasting – using my digital posture imaging software to analyze posture.
- Wearable?– Will someone wear it the required amount to make a change? Participant answered several questions to give you an idea of what it was actually like to use the posture device.
Questions you should ask in choosing a posture brace
- How easy is it to put on?
- Easy to adjust?
- Is it comfortable to wear with your daily activities?
- Easy to clean?
- Did you notice your body change immediately?
- Did it relieve pain or discomfort?
- Would you buy this device?
- What was your impression of its’ appearance – attractive, discreet, etc?
- Please briefly describe your daily activities?